Dental Exams & Cleanings in Huntsville TX
At regular check-up exams your dentist and hygienist will work together to provide the following:
- Oral Cancer Screening- Check the head, neck, lips, tongue, throat, tissues, and gums for any signs of oral cancer.
- Examination of X-rays- This is essential for the detection of decay, cysts, tumors, and bone loss.
- Gum Disease Evaluation- Check the gums surrounding the teeth for any signs of gum disease a like gingivitis or periodontal disease.
- Tooth Decay Examination- All surfaces of the teeth will be examined closely for decay.
- Examination of Existing Restorations- All current fillings, crowns, and other restorations will be examined for soundness.
Professional dental cleanings are performed by a Registered Dental Hygienist. Your cleaning will include an exam as well as:
- Removal of Calculus/Tartar- Calculus is hardened plaque that after a period of time becomes firmly attached to the tooth surface. Calculus can form both above and below the gum line. It can only be removed with specialized dental instruments.
- Removal of Plaque- Plaque is a sticky, white film that forms on teeth. It is composed of live bacteria, food particles, and saliva.
- Teeth Polishing- Polishing removes staining and plaque that is not removed during scaling and tooth brushing.
If you would like to schedule an appointment or have any additional questions please contact us at our Huntsville, TX dental practice today!